Cancer Free Me


Well I am excited to share very important life changing events have happened here in the last two weeks! I am bummed that I have not been able to get an updated post on here in two weeks!  I would sit down and try to write something, but my pain and meds would just not let me focus on what I was trying to type.  But now I am coming out of the clouds, and feel like a I am thinking clearer. However, I am not 100% sure my family would agree with that!

I had my bilateral mastectomy on Thrusday, February 14.  Happy Valentine's Day to me!  The surgery went very well. It was a long day as surgery days usually are.  After our one hour drive, Ben and I arrived at Indiana University Hospital at 7:30 am.  Surgery was scheduled for 9:30 am, and they had me ready to go.  I felt like a walking white board for a while as both surgeons made their marks. And as you can see, Ben sent me off with a little heart as well. 

Unfortunately, my operating room wasn't ready for me until close to 11:00 am. So we had a lot of time to pass waiting for my turn.

The surgery took about four hours.  The first I remember waking up in a recovery room was around 5:00 pm.  Soon I was moved to a private room where I stayed for the night.  Ben and I were home by noon the next day.  They don't keep you very long.

  As most of you know, I took part in a clinical study where I had neoadjuvant treatments for 24 weeks before surgery. I have been doing Herceptin infusions every three weeks with a trial drug, along with a few other necessary estrogen receptor blocker drugs.


And now I am excited to say that the cancer is gone. I am so proud to say that God gave me an opportunity to use my unfortunate cancer to help this extraordinary continued research and improve the future treatments of HER2+ and Estrogen+ breast cancer....
for the next group of women who are diagnosed and
FOR THE FUTURE OF OUR DAUGHTERS!
     
 

I cannot THANK everyone enough for all of the well wishes and prayers before and after my surgery! I have the most amazing family and friends.  I just feel so blessed! I am doing well..good days and bad days.  As you know, it is extremely difficult for me to sit still but I am trying to do my best!  I have expanders for now...more news on them later!
Thank you Everyone!

Comments

  1. Awesome news Lori! So happy for you! You are an inspiration and I admire your spirit, energy and determination.
    Sarah Simmons Gordon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery in the Moments of Brokenness

The Mystery of Strength

Starting Chemo...The Search for Miss Wiggly