Starting Chemo...The Search for Miss Wiggly

I believe that waiting to see if, when and how much of my hair is going to fall out is kind of like Ben and my boys (who are loyal Purdue fans) waiting to see if Indiana University will win the National Tournament or just how far they will go. 

I am not going to lie to you, the thought of losing my hair sickens me. But I have a new friend, Miss Wiggly.  She is quietly waiting on her stand in my bedroom to keep her fluffed and beautiful.  I have asked her not to stare much at me right now when I walk into the room.  Our bond isn't that strong yet...we just met a week ago. And there is always that chance that I may not even need her. You see, my hair loss is unpredictable.  They say that I could lose a little hair, a few clumps of hair, or possibly... probably all of it.

I started my first of twelve weekly Taxol chemo treatments on March 7.  My friend Becky went with me.  God love her, she was trying to help me deal with the thoughts of losing my hair.  I told her that I would rather vomit everyday than lose my hair.  Now I know...that was an absurd statement, but you know, when you are dealing with cancer and it's challenges, you make many absurd statements.

Now throughout this process, I have always felt God by my side.  And once again, there He was.  I met two wonderful women at my first infusion. Julie has cancer and was doing her treatment accompanied by her friend Kristi. It turns out that they grew up with my husband's cousins in a small town a couple hours away.  It is a "small world" people!  And God is always bringing the right people into our lives for a reason.

They asked me if I was thinking about having a "head shaving party."  Of course, I said, "Uh, No!"  As Julie excitedly told  me about hers, Kristi wips off a wig to show us that she had shaved her head as well!  They both had wigs on, and I had no clue.  They told me of a great place to look at wigs, Beauty 4 U in Castleton.   They said it was the place to go, and convinced me that the sooner the better.  In a matter of minutes of conversation, Julie and Kristi's inspriation had changed me.  So when we got into the car to head home, I looked at Becky and said, "Ok, so I would rather get a wig than vomit everyday."  She smiled as she said, "Now we are finally getting somewhere!"


This is only a small portion of choices!
So two days later, even though I really didn't feel up to it, three friends, went with Lydia and I wig shopping at Beauty 4 U.  What a great store! They had hundreds of wigs...too many choices really!


This was her favorite....
do I have to let her become a teen-ager!?
As we all began to pick up wigs, we were immediately told, no more than three wigs!!  WHAT? Pick three wigs out of all of these!!! But I easily found Miss Wiggly, and we all agreed that she looked the best. So I bought her, and she is now sitting in my room....waiting. Waiting for me to lose my hair or not lose my hair, and maybe evene a better name. I have told her that if she is the jinx that makes me not lose my hair, I promised to donate her to someone who needs her.                                                                                        
Hair or no hair, this is the crimson and black hair/hat I will be wearing for each game! Go Hoosiers!!
  


 

Comments

  1. I love your positive attitude! Praying for you and especially that you don't have to vomit every day! :) Esther Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Esther! Hope you and your family are doing well!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love how you find humor in every moment. That's living. Hugs, Claire :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! I believe that your Daisy Among Roses truly helps me do that! <3

      Delete
  3. Lori, you are an amazing person with an amazing spirit & strength!! I know God is surrounding you and seeing you through this trial. Your spirit is the total key!! Of course the support does help the hurdles!!!!love and prayer to you May He continue to see you through, and provide you with the strength to conquer! My neighbor has been diagnosed recently. I hope to share your infor and give her encouragement. Love , Kim Bell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lori,
    I am a friend of a friend (Jay Waggoner) and am a 3 year breast cancer survivor (ER/PR -, HER2 +). I had the 12 week taxol therapy with a year of herceptin and did lose all my hair (I will say a prayer that your experience may be different). I smile as I read your analogy to the waiting game. The waiting game is tough. I was a little obsessed with checking my hair, touching my hair, etc. I didn't do the shave party either but did get a smart short cut to make the process easier to take. Glad you found a wig you like (just in case).

    Thanks for sharing your journey and I am sending positive energy your way!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery in the Moments of Brokenness

The Mystery of Strength