One Year Ago Today

One year ago today, I heard the words that no one wants to hear.  "You have Cancer."

Since that day, I have had...
     4 Mammograms
     3 Ultrasounds
     4 ECHOs
     5 biopsies
     17 Herceptin infusions
     11 Taxol chemo infusions
     12 Lupron shots
     2 surgeries
     4 expander fill'er ups
     (That is a lot of needle pokes!!)
     To sit and wait in 13 different waiting rooms
Since that day I have seen amazing acts of kindness...
     12 Cleaning fairies
     Somewhere over 50 delicious meals
     24 rides to my infusions in Indy or Carmel
     Over 100 Get Well cards
     Many useful gifts and care packages 
     Inspirational gifts
     30 women joining my Dirty Girl Run team to raise money for breast cancer research
     Catholic school children giving their penny mass money to my oncologist's research
     4 children's soccer teams dress in pink to support breast cancer awareness
     A car dealership car wash to raise money for breast cancer awareness in my honor
     And what I hold dear to my heart, the countless prayers

Since that day, I have lost...
     Two friends to cancer
     Two breasts
     Several lymph nodes
     Much of my hair
     My eyelashes and eyebrows
     My feeling of invincibility
     Physical strength and endurance
     And wow...a lot of sleep
Since that day, I have gained...
     An even stronger relationship with my amazing husband
     A deeper appreciation for time spent with my five beautiful children
     New friendships with women I may have never known
     Time spent with family & friends that we are normally too busy to spend together
     Stronger friendships with those who were by my side
     Three wonderful nurses whom I now call dear friends
     A chance to participate in a clinical study for breast cancer research
     A chance to help others through their breast cancer journeys
     The boob lift that we always say we wish we could get (Gotta throw that in here, right?)
     The realization that things could always have been a lot worse
     A new appreciation for life
     
     I gained much more than I lost! These are the silver linings, the blessing in disguise! 
     I never dreamed this year would have happened to me.  But it did, and I got through
     it! I'm okay! Now my hope is that I can help others through it too.

Thanks to all who stood by my side!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery in the Moments of Brokenness

The Mystery of Strength

Starting Chemo...The Search for Miss Wiggly