My Decision to Get a Port

     Throughout the 2 1/2 years of my cancer journey, I have had to do a lot of things that I did not want to do...surgeries, chemo, procedures, biopsies, scans, treatments, endless appointments.  But this becomes part of your new life, and you may grit your teeth, shed a few tears, scream that it is not fair a few times, and then you just move forward because you have to. So let me introduce you to my newest life altering decision...Portia.
     To get a port or not get a port...that was the question.  When I had my babies, the nurses always bragged about my veins.  They were nice and plump, easy to get a IV needle into.  Sadly, long term IV treatments damage your skin and veins, leaving them difficult to access. My last four or five infusions involved two attempts to get my IV in. The only good vein left is in the crook of my right arm. Something that never used to bother me, suddenly was making me anxious in the hour before getting stuck. I knew it was time to consider a port.
     Several months ago, my favorite infusion nurse introduced me to the woman in the chair next to me who loved her port. I listened intently as she kindly showed me the bump under her skin and explained how happy she was to have it.  Sounded good, but I wasn't totally convinced yet.
     I continued to fight this port internally for the next several months.  Why was I fighting it? The procedure itself frightened me.  The thought of placing this foreign object in my body was a bit scary as well. But really, the issue wasn't so much the fears as it was giving in. I felt like I was letting cancer chalk up a point.  I was taking a step closer to my uncertain death.
     On my last visit with my doctor, I told her I thought I was ready. Being the amazing doctor she is, she immediately sensed my uneasiness. As she grabbed my hands, I explained that I felt like I was giving in.  She then used a little of that good ol reverse psychology on me, challenging me to look at it as I was the one chalking up the point on cancer. So cancer...you think you are going to mess up my veins and stress me out, well, I won't let you do that...I will just get a port. No more constant needle pricks on me!  I am in control.  This thinking process worked...thanks Dr. Miller.
     So yesterday, I did it.  Let me introduce you to Portia. Yes, I gave my port name. No, I am not crazy.  She is likely going to be with me the rest of my life...we need to be friends.
    Now I know a lot of you are wondering...what exactly is a port?  A port or a portacath is a small medical appliance like the one in this photo above. It is placed in a pocket under your skin and is attached to a long tube or catheter that is placed into a large vein in your chest and ends at your heart. The device has a rubber top just under the skin where a needle is inserted to draw blood or inject drugs such as chemotherapy or the two drugs I receive every three weeks, Herceptin and Perjeta. The procedure took about an hour.  I have to keep it bandaged for 24 hours and dry for a week. After it is healed, I will have a small noticeable bump under my skin on my chest. We tested Portia out after the procedure with treatment #11. It was such a relief to not have to find a good vein in my arms for the IV. I think I am going to like her.

So thankful for my wonderful husband who spent yesterday by my side for treatment #11. I do not where I would be without Ben's love and support, holding my hand through this journey. So thankful God put this man in my life! I'm so blessed!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery in the Moments of Brokenness

Starting Chemo...The Search for Miss Wiggly

The Mystery of Strength