My Peaceful Place

     Think about a peaceful place...a place that surrounds you with warmth and comfort, a place where you feel safe to relax and be yourself.
     Mine is located on a Lagrange County dirt road, surrounded by fields and pastures, in the heart of Amish country. There along a mile stretch of country road is a weathered white farm house with a century old dairy barn and a working windmill spinning in the warm summer breeze. The colorful garden lines the driveway with an array of beautiful flowers and all types of vegetables in perfectly straight, weedless rows, much like a picture from a magazine. The house is large with many different sections of living areas added on over the years. There is also a smaller "Dawdy house" attached, which means Grandpa's house in Pennsylvanian Dutch. 
     My dad grew up in the main house, and years later, one of my aunts raised her family there, while my grandparents moved into the Dawdy house. My dad and I recently found out that they were going to tear down this house to build a new one, so his family was invited to come walk through one last time. While we hated to see the house go, we were excited to go back to walk through it for the first time in almost 20 years.

Sitting on the front steps 2015
    This is me sitting on the front steps of the Dawdy house, the very door where you could always find my grandmother standing as we pulled up.  She had 66 grandchildren but she always had a way of making you feel like you were the most special guest at her house. 
Found a dress that fits 1981
     Growing up in the city of Indianapolis, I was fascinated with the Amish country life.  My grandparents were Old Order Amish which meant they did not have electricity, cars, or even phones. Horse & buggies and kerosene lanterns were just a way of life. I couldn't wait to get to the farm each summer for our annual family reunions.  By the time I was 10, I would go up to stay for a week during the summers.  The minute I got their, I would dig through my cousin's Amish dresses to find some that would fit.  I would happily get up at 5:30 am to help hand-milk the cows with my cousins. I even thought it was great fun to mow the lawn with a reel push mower (no motor).
Inside the dairy barn 2015
The bedroom just I am remembered 2015
     As I walked into the house for this last time, it smelled just as I remembered it.  The smell of the kerosene used for the lights was like a soothing scent of a calming oil. As I walked into the upstairs room, where I used to stay, the sun was shining through the window...everything just as I remembered it...peaceful.
      It all brought back peaceful memories of the time I spent with my grandmother, helping her with her garden and in the kitchen. She was a quiet and gentle woman who had lived a hard life, but you wouldn't know because she never complained.
     My grandmother was the firstborn of eleven, with only three of her ten younger siblings surviving. My great-grandmother, Lydia lost five infants shortly after their births. Then in the spring of 1923, Lydia had a set of twins. She had pneumonia, and died after childbirth. Sadly, the twins both died within three days. At twelve years old, my grandmother had experienced seven funerals in her home for her mother and her siblings. She had to grow up in a hurry as she became responsible for her three younger siblings.
    Her story is one of amazing strength.  She suffered so much loss early in life. She went on to have eleven children of her own leading to 66 grandchildren. She kept all of our birthdays on a neat handmade one page calendar hanging in her living room.
Summer visit 1982
    We spent many hours together in the summers I visited her, as well as 15 years of writing letters to each other, and it wasn't until several years after she passed away that I learned of her childhood. Of course now, there are so many questions I would ask her if I could. But I feel so fortunate for the time I was given with her.  And I am thankful for my final visit to the farm.  Even though she hadn't lived there for nearly twenty years, it felt just like it did all those years ago...peaceful. 

     Everyone has struggles in their life, how we choose to live the rest of lives gives us the strength to overcome.


David and Jake came with me for Treatment #16. They went to buy Jake's text books and came back with a Coke with my name on it. :)  Enjoyed spending the day with them! 



Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading this! It was great to see you again and share a few giggles as we walked through that old house! Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I long for those simpler times in my life. You are truly blessed Lori. Peace be with you always. SJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great that you were able to go through the house. Love reading your fond memories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery in the Moments of Brokenness

Breast Expanders...What are They and How Do They Work?

Starting Chemo...The Search for Miss Wiggly