Believe Me, It Takes Great Patience to be a Patient

It was only my second infusion, in early September of 2012.  I was sitting in the infusion center, IV in, and ready to go.  We waited over an hour for the Herceptin to come down from the pharmacy.  I was about to lose my mind.  I felt like I had already been so through much waiting for the radiologist reports, the oncologist visits, the breast surgeon visits.  I was so impatient in that moment, when Becky grabbed my arm and said, "You are going to have to learn to be patient, because this is the way it is in hospitals.  Things don't always run smoothly."  I take myself back to that conversation often, and am proud to say that I have taught myself to be a patient with a lot of patience.

Labs need time.  The pharmacy needs to be accurate. Every patient's questions need to be answered. Emergencies happen. All of which create continuous delays throughout the day within the hospital.

It may seem unreasonable and that your time is not important.  It may not seem fair. But, we all want  quality care. Dictionary.com defines it too well...to be patient...bearing provocation, annoyance, misfortune, delay, hardship, pain, etc., with fortitude and calm and without complaint, anger, or the like. Believe me, it takes a great deal of patience to be a patient. 

So I am again reminded of this as I have had to be very patient over the past few weeks.  On February 13, it was time for new CT Scans.  I decided to get them a week early as my pain had increased leading me to believe that after only five good months, the Doxil was no longer working.  Sure enough, I was right.  I had minor progression.  Time to change treatments yet again. 

This time, my oncologist had a trial in mind for me. In looking at my options, I agreed with her that this seemed like a good direction to take.  It is a phase 1 clinical trial.  The pro being that it was a HER2 targeted treatment which I desperately need. The scary part being, this is a Phase 1 Trial, which is testing safe dosage levels for humans...or as my friend Susan hates for me to joke about, the next level higher than the lab mouse. 

It started with a full day at the hospital a week and a half ago.  A urine sample to make sure I wasn't pregnant...now that's funny, followed by 11 tubes of blood.  Then I was off to another part of the hospital for an ECHO.  While waiting for an hour for my name to be called, found out I had to go to another area of the hospital for the CT Scans.  Finally ending with an EKG.  Suddenly, it was 2:00 and I hadn't had a thing to eat and only a cup of water. But after it was all said and done, I found out the next day that I qualified for the trial!

I started the drug last Wednesday. Arriving at the hospital at 8:00 am, I started out with another blood draw. They moved me into a room in the clinical research hall of the hospital where Ben and I hung out waiting for the blood tests to be completed and the pharmacy to send my treatment. The first drip of the infusion started at 10:46.  Over the next 90 minutes, it continued to drip...meanwhile they watched over me making sure I wasn't going to have an adverse reactions...vitals every 15 minutes.  Two more blood draws at 2 hours later and 4 hours later.  It was a long day! 

I will receive these infusions every three weeks. Luckily, the days will not be as long as the first. Now we hope for the best!

I am a fidgety person who has trouble sitting still. I never dreamed that I would ever be patient enough to deal with this craziness cancer has brought to my life.  But we do what we have to do. And I often have to remind myself...it takes a great deal of patience to be a patient.

Thank you for all you love, support, and prayers! 
Please pray that this treatment will work...for a very long time!




Comments

  1. Hi, Lori, I am thankful everyday I can read and write otherwise all the waiting I have done related to my cancer care would have made this process so much worse. Oh, the life we lead . . .
    I am hoping to hear good news from you in a future post about this trial you have started. Can you tell me the name of it. I am Her2neu+ as well so I try to keep informed of any new drugs that might one day help me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Lori. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are certainly a very admirable and strong woman! Hugs and prayers to you, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a ladycalled peter Lizzy she was testifies to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery in the Moments of Brokenness

Breast Expanders...What are They and How Do They Work?

Starting Chemo...The Search for Miss Wiggly