The Cancer Card...If You've Got It, Play It


 
   The story of my Cancer Card begins several weeks ago at a high school football game that our local high school played down at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.  Because we were two small high schools, we had great seats down in the lowest section.  My friend Merilee was there as well, but sitting with the opposing team. Why she was sitting with the opposing team is a long story within itself...so we will skip that part. 
   Close to half time, Merilee called to see where I was sitting.  After a few minutes of confusing conversation and awkward and embarassing attempts to wave at each other across the stadium, we found that we were sitting directly across from each other on the 40 yard line.  I tell her I will walk over to see her during half time. I joke that I should get walking because it looks like it would take a good 20 minutes to walk over there as Lucas Oil is huge!  Merilee's reply, "There is no need to walk all the way around!  Just go down to the 40 yard line and hold up your Cancer Card.  They will stop this game and let you walk on straight across the field!"  Well, needless to say, I opted to walk all the way around!
   The Cancer Card quickly became the joke among my friends about how I could get out of things or get special treatment. As you can see if the picture above, my friend Melissa awarded me my Cancer Card today. Now of course, this is all just in fun.  There have to be "Upsides" to having cancer, right? First of all if you have the Cancer Card then rightfully, it is yours to play. Secondly, I can't find any published guidelines for whether it is appropriate or not, so therefore, it must be!  
   In the game of Life...ooops wrong game...Canceropoly it is the "get out of jail free" card. You could easily try to use it to get out of a speeding ticket.  Maybe even hang a large one on your back car window to cut through traffic.  You could always use it at work...to come in late, leave early, or even just take the day off. Maybe it would be handy to cut in the long lines at the grocery checkouts. 
   At home, you could use it to take a nap. How about to get out of helping the kids with homework, cooking dinner or even doing laundry?  The possibilities are endless!
   What about someone's birthday or anniversary that you forgot?  The late fee on the credit card bill you forgot to pay this month. You get invited someplace you really don't want to go. It can even get you out of an awkward conversation, or maybe a conversation you didn't want to be in the first place.
    I just got a notification for jury duty...hmm, can I send them a picture of my Cancer Card with my paperwork?
   There are, of course, many legitimate, good uses for the Cancer Card.  You are given a special opportunity to see just how many great friends and family members you really do have.  You get to look at life from a whole new perspective.  You get a chance to make yourself spend more quality time with your kids and hug them a little tighter each day.  Sometimes reminding myself that I have cancer has, so far, been the best way to cut myself some slack, slow down, and accept help from others.
   So I would like to give everyone a free pass on my Cancer Card. Go ahead, give it a swipe, cut yourself a break, hug someone extra tight, and enjoy doing something selfishly for you today.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery in the Moments of Brokenness

Breast Expanders...What are They and How Do They Work?

Starting Chemo...The Search for Miss Wiggly