Preparing for a Mastectomy...Care Package Ideas

The Double Mastectomy Decision
     The decision to have a double mastectomy is not an easy one.  In your head, it quickly makes the most sense...get rid of the boobs, get rid of the cancer.  But of course, it is not that easy.  Your breasts are a part of your body, a part of your self, a part of your sexuality.  Unfortunately, women often have to make this decision quickly.  Suddenly they are not only faced with a cancer diagnosis, but the difficult questions of removal and reconstruction.  It is important to remember that removing both breasts does not completely take away the risk of having breast cancer again. Though it is minimal, there is still some breast tissue left.  Many women choose to remove both for symmetrical reasons, with the hope that they will look the same. 
     In August 2012, I was diagnosed with breast cancer on one side, and only needed a single mastectomy. I was suddenly face with this difficult decision.  A few days later, I was offered a chance to participate in a clinical study which then gave me six months to make this decision.  I feel lucky because this gave me time to think it all through. I ended up having a double mastectomy on February 14, 2013 and reconstruction in July.
     I think it is important to say that I made my decision for me.  That doesn't mean it is the best decision for everyone.  Some women choose to do a lumpectomy.  Some women choose to only remove one side while others remove both.  Some women choose reconstruction, while some do not. Talk it through with your surgeon and your loved ones. Do what feels right and comfortable for you.  It is your body!  
     I was very lucky to have my husband's support throughout this process. When I asked him what he thought I should do, he assured me that he was fine with whatever decisions I made.  It was my body and that I needed to do what I was comfortable with.   He said he didn't marry me for my breasts, that my life and happiness were what mattered.  Just the support I needed.
     Family and friends....remember that this is a difficult, life changing decision.  These women have a long road ahead of them. Even if you do not think it is the decision you would make, be supportive of her decision.  This is not easy for her, and it will not be an easy process.  What she needs from you is support, support, support!

Preparing for a Surgery and Ideas for Gifts or a Care Package
Pillows There are several things that I recommend having after a single or double mastectomy.  My number one favorite items were my Axilla-Pilla pillows.  These microbead heartshaped pillows are so wonderful and have many uses!  After surgery, I found that the most comfortable place to be was the recliner.  I kept one pillow under each arm to add support and comfort. Then when I was able to sleep in the bed again, they helped sleeping on my side be more comfortable.  Even in the car, I used one between me and the seatbelt across my chest. I am telling you...these are a must have!
Pajamas, Socks, Blanket Having at least two pairs of comfy button front pajamas is essential. You will live in these for the next two weeks, and it is no fun trying to get your arms through a T-shirt!  Grab a couple pairs of fuzzy socks and a nice soft blanket too!
Side Table Items Your setup for recovery is important. Before you go in for surgery, set up your space. As I mentioned before, my most comfortable place was in the recliner.  I recommend moving end tables to both sides of your recliner.  It is helpful to have a basket with items that you will need...lip balm, moisturizing lotion, a back scratcher, a brush, nail clippers, mints, gum or your favorite candy.  Don't forget to leave space for you pain medications in the basket. The pain meds do make you a little mentally dazed, so it is a good idea to have a pen and notebook to write down what time you took them.  It is so easy to forget! 
Reading Materials/Electronics  Daytime TV can get a little boring. Have a good book and some new magazines nearby. Treat yourself to some fun classic movies like maybe the Breakfast Club and St. Elmo's Fire. If you do not have an electrical outlet by your recliner, run an extension cord to your table.  This way you can plug in your phone charger and other device chargers.  I kept my laptop with a lap cushion on one of my tables. I ended up working on Shutterfly photo books and made nine of them!
Pre-Surgery Pampering The day before surgery can be stressful. If you can, do something fun and relaxing. You deserve it! Treat yourself to a mani and a pedi.  Go out to your favorite restaurant for a nice dinner.   Friends and family, these would be wonderful pre-surgery gifts.
Post-Surgery Pampering Now if you are like me, it isn't easy to ask for help, or to let others pamper you.  But this is one time in life when you have to do just this...let others help you.  You may need help emptying your drain tubes each day.  You may want someone to wash your hair for you. Let loved ones take care of the cooking, cleaning and laundry for a couple weeks. You need to heal up and rest. 
And remember...you are always in someone's prayers, and you can do this!

This post is dedicated to a friend of mine preparing for a double mastectomy.
Teresa, thanks for the blog post idea.  Hang in there, you can do this!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery in the Moments of Brokenness

Breast Expanders...What are They and How Do They Work?

Starting Chemo...The Search for Miss Wiggly