Calling Team Lori...The Unexpected Turn in the Road

     Just when you think things are going smoothly again, along comes the unexpected turn in the road.      
     After switching treatments in November, the cancer on my bones was responding well to Kadcyla.  It was a great relief because Kadcyla is a newer drug and is working effectively for many women.
     Less than two weeks ago, someone bumped my side.  As I went to rub it, I was surprised to feel a lump in the lower outer area of my breast next to my implant. So last Tuesday, I got a CT Scan that showed a tumor measuring just under 2 centimeters.  
     Last Friday, I had a biopsy, which happens to be a short story in itself.  As the resident prepared to stick the needle in, I asked him how many breast biopsies he had performed.  He replied, "You are my FIRST!"  I thought, "Okay, well, let's just get this virgin biopsy going then!"   Lucky for him, I have had many biopsies, and I was able to patiently watch on the ultrasound as he maneuvered the needle around to get the right spot.  I guess someone has to be the guinea pig once in a while, and I have the bruising to show it!
     The Good News...the cancer on my sternum and rib are stable, my treatments are working well on them.
     The Bad News...the tumor is breast cancer of which the treatments were not working.  I am now scheduled to have surgery on May 2 to have it removed. And I believe about four weeks after that, I will begin some radiation.
     Just a bump in the road! :)
     More to come...



Please keep my family in your prayers as we venture on this new stretch of road. I need my TEAM!!

Exhausted after Treatment #29
and putting in an 8 hour day at the hospital!
But no worries...we had a good time!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery in the Moments of Brokenness

Starting Chemo...The Search for Miss Wiggly

The Mystery of Strength