Blessings in Disguise



I can't believe it is just a few days shy of three months since my mammogram and two months since my first infusion. A lot has happened in three months!  Now as I look back, it is overwhelming to think about all that I went through.  I have found now that the storm has calmed, and I am into a treatment pattern...things have settled down, and the blessings start appearing all around me.

I have had 3 of 18 Herceptin infusions. I will have surgery in Febraury. I go to IU Simon Cancer Center once every three weeks for the infusions, as well as, an appointment with my oncologist.  I am fortunate and so thankful to have a long list of friends and family who want to take me. It is two hours of travel and about an hour to get the infusion, so each trip has become a blessing of time I get to spend with important people in my life. 

I have an assortment of side effects...fatigue, achy joints, achy muscles, stomach issues, weak "jello" legs, hot flashes,and a combination of teen-age acne and dry skin at the same time. I have good days and bad days.  The blessing is that it could be so much worse. I do not have to go through traditional chemotherapy and all the side effects that come with it. 

A couple of days ago, I had an opportunity to visit a domestic violence shelter for women and children.  As the caseworker took us on a tour of the facility, she shared so many touching stories...some with happy endings and some with very sad endings.  As we were walking down the hall, we past a mother and her three beautiful children. In that moment, when I looked with my tired eyes into this mother's tired and sad eyes, I was suddenly thankful that I had breast cancer. Sometimes, we have to put things into perspective. The blessing is the realization that things could always be a lot worse.

Don't get me wrong, cancer is mean and mentally painful. Without the support of the people in my life, I would not be able to count my blessings.  There is not enough that I can say about my wonderful husband and amazing children who have helped me through my bad days and nights, and share the joy of the good days. But I am also so blessed with friends and family that have surrounded me with love, prayers, and encouragment. And to them we continue to say...

Comments

  1. LOri, you have a beautiful family! And you are an amazing person! Sending lots of love and prayers to you, my aunt, and all of those other women fighting this terrible disease. Please let me know if I can help in any way. I am great at running kids to and from practice, events, orthodontic appointments :-), etc. I would love to help in any way I can. Xoxo. Charee

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so beautiful inside and out!! Thank you for all that you share!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bravery in the Moments of Brokenness

Starting Chemo...The Search for Miss Wiggly

The Mystery of Strength